Benefits of the State of Flow
The state of fluidity between the body and mind is said to be that you are experiencing a state of Flow, where you are totally immersed in an activity and able to concentrate beyond the point of distraction. The state of flow is open to everyone, whether you’re involved in a creative endeavor, physical activity, or even a simple daily job. Achieving a State of Flow is when you get sense of clarity in any task you are performing.
When you’re in relaxation mode, it’s less likely to achieve the State of Flow, instead, you can accomplish it through more challenging and stimulating practices and concentration. If we challenge ourselves with a task, our mind reacts to its full capacity and if we are good at the task and enjoy doing it, one can experience a State of Flow which leaves us satisfied and motivated. Achieving a flow state and being able to achieve focus on a smaller scale, is essential for accomplishment of goals. You actively take charge of events occurring in your life rather than sitting and reacting to external forces.
There are some ways which can help you to be in that zone.
- Do the things you Love – Performing an activity of your choice will fulfill the craving of your mind and allow you to achieve a State of Flow more easily. Task that we enjoy always seem a lot easier, regardless of how difficult they may me.
- Engage in activities that you are good at – When you do an activity which you are skilled at it a lot easier than doing the task that you are not. Get someone else to do those.
- Prioritize your Task – You need to focus on one task at a time to attain or get into the zone. Multitasking can be a distraction in achieving the State of Flow. Do not multitask rather handling a single task at a task will help.
“Do one thing at a time, and while doing it put your whole soul into it to the exclusion of all else” – Swami Vivekananda
- Plan the time to act – Identify the time of the day when you’re both in a good mood and strong in energy. It is not the same for all of us, some people peak in the morning and others at night. That is when you will be most productive and concentratiion easier.
- Maintain a Practice – Each and every step will take some practice, from selecting a task you love, prioritizing the task, identifying your expertise to recognizing your peak time. You might face failure at first but learn from your failures and adjust accordingly. The more you’ll practice the better you will get, and it will be helpful in achieving the State of Flow.
“Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.” – Robert Collier
- Achieving – Along with achieving the State of Flow, you will also inculcate good habits. You will learn how to prioritize your tasks and complete them with a positive mindset. You’ll complete more tasks more often, without distraction, which in turn will give you a great sense of success. .
How does the State of Flow benefit our lives. Studies have shown that people who have followed the theory of State of Flow have achieved excellence in many different areas in their lives. Benefits that could motivate you to work on getting into Flow are:
Improves Productivity – As one of the practices we follow to achieve a state of flow is focusing on the task without distracting oneself and that will lead to higher work output. Researches have shown that if a person experiences the State of Flow, their productivity doubles. In a study carried out by Harvard University, creative teams have higher rate of achievement when working in a goal centric environment.
When in a Flow State, our brain is in much-relaxed mode and is said to be most productive during this time. In this state our ability to learning increases as it releases dopamine. Not only does dopamine give us a sense of excitement, but it also allows us to recognize more patterns in our surroundings by increasing our concentration and decreasing distractions.
Experience Happiness – Being in a deep State of Flow is described as a very happy experience with the pleasure of being in the moment and enjoying the task. People often refer to this as being in the zone! This Flow State does not only increase our creativity It encourages us to be more open to innovation and new discoveries. The attainment of the flow state is a general sense of wellbeing and a lifetime sense of happiness and fulfillment that goes beyond a temporary level of happiness.
Fewer Obstacles – Feelings like tension, anxiety, less confidence which take hold our minds, take a back seat when we get in the Flow state. If we learn how to remove distractions from our minds we’ll be better at moving forward and functioning in life despite those unexpected setback’s back life throws at us. The State of Flow teaches us how to deal with stress making us competent and ready to take new challenges.
Sense of clarity – Flow encourages us to use our attention to perfect a task or to learn new ones. This gives us an idea of clarity; you will know what you must do without thinking about it. When we are focused it helps us to successfully execute our tasks. Over time, this enhanced perception is converted into a subconscious action and is followed into daily life. Think of it like your car windshield, when it is clean and clear and a bird splats on it, it is very noticeable so you deal with it. With a dirty windshield it’s not that noticeable, it gets ignores, but it’s another blemish that clouds out vision.
One of the major reasons we like being in Flow state is along with being simple and comfortable it allows us to perform something worthwhile. State of Flow is the most difficult yet peaceful, happiest and best moments of our lives.
Attaining a State of Flow can be an excellent way to enjoy the activities you are pursuing. People often not only achieve better results when they are in this state of flow, also their skills are improved.